Office Assistant – Save the Children Zanzibar.
TEAM/PROGRAMME: Human Resource and Administration Team
GRADE: Grade 7
POST TYPE: National
Level 3 – the responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with or access to children or young people
The Office Assistant is responsible for maintaining cleanliness and tidiness of the office and for preparing and serving of refreshments for meetings/guests as required.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Supply Chain and Admin Officer
Dimensions: Save the Children has been operational in Tanzania since 1986 providing support to children through developmental and humanitarian relief programmes delivered in support of Got priorities and policies both directly and through local partners. Current programming focuses on child protection, child rights governance, education, nutrition, HIV/TB and emergency response. In 2012, as part of a global reorganization process, Save the Children combined programmes of SCUK, SCUS and SC Sweden to create a single operation in Tanzania. We currently have an operational presence in Shinyanga, Zanzibar, Songwe, Dodoma, Morogoro, Iringa and Kigoma and we work through partners in other parts of the country. We employ nearly 100 staff and have an annual operating budget of approximately $10 million.
Staff directly reporting to this post: NIL
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
- Responsible for cleaning and tidying up the office, dusting the furniture, washing of curtains and toilets.
- Cleaning utensils/cutlery used in the office e.g. cups, plates and cutlery including fridge, water dispensers etc. and to remove garbage from the office kitchen + from each office every day.
- Preparing and serving refreshments e.g. tea, coffee, water etc. for meetings and guests when required.
- Ensure that equipment, utensils and supplies are sufficient and in good condition and available including toiletries in the toilets e.g. toilet papers, disinfectants etc.
- Ensure safe custody of allocated materials/tools and account for usage including cups, glasses, cutlery etc.
- Ensure proper use of cleaning tools/machines e.g. mopping buckets, brooms and water dispensers
- Monitor and maintain office supplies, handle shortages and storage systems for supplies
- Perform receptionist duties when needed.
- Assist with any other cleaning or administration support duties (such as photocopying, filling and receiving of phone calls) as required by line manager.
- All staff have an obligation to ensure they fully understand the provisions of the Child Safeguarding Policy, the Code of Conduct and related policies. They must conduct themselves in accordance with the rules of the Child Safeguarding Policy, in their personal and professional lives – which includes reporting suspicions of child abuse.
- All staff must ensure the way they are carrying out their work is not putting children at risk (or further risk).
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (our Values in Practice)
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
Ordinary Level Certificate in Business related field
1-2 years working experience in an office environment
Ability to understand simple instructions in English
Basis oral and written communication skills in Kiswahili and English
Basis numeric skills
Knowledge of the effective use of cleaning equipment/tools/materials
Honesty, reliability and dependability
Demonstrated ability to understand and interpret the requirements of the job
Demonstrated ability to follow through and complete assigned tasks in a logical and consistency manner
Proficiency in MS Office
Knowledge and experience in basis photocopying and filing
MODE OF APPLICATION
Interested candidates should submit their applications at Save the children office; Zanzibar Tiger House 2nd Floor before 4th August 2020 addressed to:
Save the Children,
P.O.BOX 1267 Zanzibar
Closing date: 31 Jul 2020 – 23:59 EAT
Location: Zanzibar, Tanzania, United Republic of
Department: Business Support
Type: Fixed-term contract
Jiunge Nasi Telegram⇒Bonyeza Hapa