Job Title: Country Finance and Operations Officer
Location: Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Application Deadline: 2020-03-31
CBM is an international Christian development organization, committed to improving the quality of life of people with disabilities in the world. CBM addresses disability as a cause and consequence of poverty, and works in partnership to create an inclusive society for all.
Responsible for administering efficient and effective finance and operations management of CBM Tanzania and ensuring consistent application of accounting principles and standards, observing CBM controls, timelines and compliance with regulatory requirements, tax policies and procedures.
- Working in the CBM Tanzania Country Office, the incumbent will take responsibility for:
- Ensuring efficient and effective finance and operations practices for the CBM Tanzania Country Office.
- Ensuring that the Country Office and partners submit timely and quality Project Progress Reports as per agreed reporting schedule, annual audit and financial statement reports.
- Building the capacity of partners in effective financial management in liaison with Programme Team and Regional Finance/Operations Department.
- Participate in preparing and managing the financial risk of the country office
- Prepare the Country Office payroll, and ensure tax calculations, social security and other statutory contribution are made in line with relevant CBM internal and national regulations
- Maintain internal accounting system and records, and ensure reliability and integrity of financial management information systems, documentation and reports.
- Monitor and support the petty cash system managed by the Administrative Officer
- Manage banking accounts and relationships with the bank (e.g. opening, operating and closing of bank accounts) as per CBM guidelines.
- Ensure that internal control procedures and donor regulations are adhered to for all cash and bank disbursements, receipts, transfers and include appropriate backup of supporting documentation.
- Observe compliance with in-country financial regulatory requirements including statutory accounts, audit, tax filing, social security contributions, etc. and work on other compliance matters with the relevant functions, including CBM in-country registration and annual reporting to relevant authorities.
- As a member of the procurement committees, ensure that any purchase, lease or sale of assets is done in accordance with procurement guidelines and receives the required approvals.
- Control and maintain a CBM country asset register and inventory, in line with CBM or donor requirements, as applicable. Plan and execute the asset verification on a quarterly basis and update the register. Report on any variances.
- Organize and manage the annual audit of Country Office accounts and prepare, manage and implement follow-up plans based on given recommendations, in close collaboration with the Finance Manager.
- Perform any other duties as assigned from time to time by the Finance Manager and Country Director
- To assist in creating, revising, updating and participate in monitoring financial related policies and procedures as directed by the Country Director and Regional Hub Finance, Operations & Administration.
- To reconcile all ledgers, cash & banks and payroll to ensure that all transactions are accurately recorded and reported.
- To ensure that travel claims are well prepared and supported and prepare adjusting journals.
- To ensure the safekeeping of all checkbooks, receipt books, and cash vouchers.
- In direct liaison with the Country Director to ensure proper cash flow management.
- Reconcile all ledgers, to ensure that all transactions are accurately ajira recorded and reported.
- Support Tanzania CO and Partner Budget Application Process by: o Mentoring/training partners to use the templates;
- Reviewing submitted budgets;
- Compiling budget summaries;
- Providing budget notifications to the Programme Team for sharing with partners.
- In liaison with Programme Team, ensure all partner savings are approved before re-allocation and re-utilization.
- Monitor costs versus budget, bank balances, cash balances and asset purchases, with a view to advice on any arising financial issues with potential budget holder.
- Monitor whether partners’ financial implementation is done in accordance with CBM procedures and approved budget by conducting regular project visits in liaison with the Programme Team. Use findings to support partner capacity development to improve their internal controls.
- Support in tracking Tanzania CO Programme budget call ups, expenditures and reporting.
Reviewing financial statements:
- Review Partner Project Progress Report (PPR) and send to Regional Finance/Operations Team.
- Submit timely and complete reports (including PPR, BVA) to the Finance Manager as per agreed timetable and in line with established reporting requirements.
- Review whether the projects’/partners’ Audit Reports (AR) and Management
- Letters (ML) are in compliance with CBM procedures and requirements; this includes:
- Coordinate development of Audit ToRs including overseeing of the audit process.
- Follow up timely submission of AR and ML from partners and submit to Regional Office on due time line
- Review that the provided AR are in accordance with International and National Standards as well National Legislation.
- Review the auditor’s findings and opinions of the current year and follow up whether the project management has responded and whether subsequent corrective actions were taken.
- Review whether the previous year’s auditor’s findings and opinions are corrected or improved in the subsequent year.
- Review the correctness of projects’/partners’ CBM Annual Financial
- Statements (FS) against CBM Financial Manual and reconcile with AR; this includes:
- Review CBM FS whether all the donor funds have been used/reported in accordance with approved CBM budget.
- Review whether previous year’s savings and current year’s reallocations of funds are utilized with prior approval of CBM.
- Review that all income and expenditures are reported on CBM FS clearly explained and reconciled with incomes and expenditures reported on AR.
- Review that closing balance reported on CBM FS is in conformance with the closing bank balance reported on the audit report.
- To comply with all safety and health procedures and requirements at CBM and, at all times ensure your own safety and health and that of other persons who may be affected by your acts or omissions at CBM
- Carry out your role-specific responsibility to safeguard children and adults at risk (as guided by CBM’s respective policies) in programs, and enforce this with any colleagues and partners you may oversee.
- Upon instruction by the superior(s) perform ad hoc activities which are either by their nature related to the normal duties or evolve from programme requirements. This may include, but is not limited to:
- Being available as a potential member of CO team of competence in the area of expertise.
a) Organisational competencies
Attention to Communication
Customer / Service Orientation
b) Position Competencies
- Education, Knowledge & Professional Experience
- Degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration and Management
- Professional qualifications in accounting an advantage (CPA, ACCA, CIMA)
- Certified member of the local board of accountancy in Tanzania
- A minimum of 5 years’ work experience in similar field, particularly with international NGOs or international development organization
- Perform all tasks in a confidential manner
- Ability to develop and maintain accounting systems which handle large amounts of information
- Ability to prioritize work, and meet deadlines
- Effective communication skills
- An effective team player who is also able to work independently
- Ability to integrate into a multi-cultural environment
- Reflects CBM values in daily work
- Ability and willingness to learn, and to pass on information / train as required
- English (professional proficiency)
- Local language – Kiswahili (professional proficiency advantageous)
- Advanced skills with MS Office
- Familiar with accounting packages
- Database management
- Knowledge in MS Navision and MS Share-point solutions an advantage
Candidates with the required profile and proven experiences, who meet these qualifications, are invited to submit via e-mail, a meaningful letter of motivation, stating why he/she wishes to work for CBM, CV, three professional references and salary expectations to email@example.com
Application deadline: 31st March 2020 at 5:00 pm**
The future job holder will adhere to CBM’s values and commits to CBM’s Code of Conduct and Safeguarding Policy.
CBM encourages Tanzanian nationals including persons with disabilities who meet the qualifications to apply for this position. For further information about CBM’s inclusion policy, please visit our Resources & Publications section at http://www.cbm.org**
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.