Media and Communications Director
Internews Tanzania seeks a Media and Communications Director who will develop and manage communications, media, and outreach activities, supporting coordination between Internews and its partners. S/he will support the Chief of Party (COP) in all aspects of program management, at a strategic level and at an operational level. S/he will be responsible for oversight of program activities, including training and subgrants. S/he will support the COP in liaison with USAID/ Tanzania on technical matters and in programs management and operations. The position will also support the COP in ensuring timely delivery of activities, quality control and the overall responsiveness of technical assistance.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Work with the Chief of Party in project, office, and personnel management
- Work with the COP, local partners, and local staff to design innovative strategies and activities that build the capacity of individual Tanzanian media outlets and media associations and strengthen the media sector holistically.
- Prepare and deliver high quality media training and mentoring (online and offline) in strategic communications, campaign planning and delivery, and social media.
- Supervise a team of experienced media trainers and consultants to deliver high quality media training and mentoring on journalism skills (online and offline)
- Contribute to the growth of the media sector by building trusted working relationships with media outlets and practitioners and advising on selection of consultants, training topics, and agendas for project-supported events.
- Support clear internal and external communication for the project by drafting, reviewing, or contributing to regular success stories and social media posts.
- Draft and revise program reports, communications materials, and other program documents.
- Independently and accurately, perform financial administration tasks (procurement, payment requests, advance reports, sub-grant approval, etc.).
- Develop plans for improvement/expansion of activities, as assigned.
- Establish and cultivate strong partnerships with counterparts nationally and across the region and with the appropriate donor representatives.
- Maintain strategic awareness of independent media issues in the country and within the broader region, and a thorough understanding of the challenges and opportunities facing media, especially online digital media.
- Additional assignments and initiatives as necessary
Qualifications, skills, and experience:
- Solid project management experience
- Substantial experience managing donor funded projects esp. by USAID
- Extensive knowledge of the Tanzanian media industry and politics.
- Sound knowledge of a range of audio-visual media, software, applications, and technologies.
- Extensive current experience of feature writing, investigative journalism, editing, and designProven management skills in an offline and online environment; incl. excellent time management skills
- Solid experience with social media and analytic tools
- Experience in starting up new media businesses, testing new media and news dissemination tools.
- Strong communication skills are required, including interpersonal and in written and oral English and Swahili. Excellent writing skills.
- Expertise on data gathering and its analysis in support of efforts to track, study and counter disinformation is a plus.
- Masters degree or higher in Media, Political Science, International studies, or other relevant field.
- This position is open to Tanzanian nationals only.
Please submit a CV and a cover letter to TZ-Jobs@internews.org Closing date 28 June 2020.
Jiunge Nasi Telegram⇒Bonyeza Hapa