Job #: req7419
Organization: World Bank
Sector: Administration/Office Support
Term Duration: 3 years 0 months
Recruitment Type: Local Recruitment
Location: Dar Es Salaam,Tanzania
Required Language(s): English
Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? Working at the World Bank Group provides a unique opportunity for you to help our clients solve their greatest development challenges. The World Bank Group is one of the largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries; a unique global partnership of five institutions dedicated to ending extreme poverty, increasing shared prosperity and promoting sustainable development. With 189 member countries and more than 120 offices worldwide, we work with public and private sector partners, investing in groundbreaking projects and using data, research, and technology to develop solutions to the most urgent global challenges. For more information, visit www.worldbank.org
Background / General description
The World Bank, the leading multi-lateral institution in global economic development, is seeking to hire a highly organized and energized professional capable of operating effectively and discreetly in a very demanding, fast-paced and culturally diverse environment, to work as a Team Assistant. S/he will be a member of the Team’s Administrative Client Support (ACS) staff recruited locally and based in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. S/he will be expected to provide a full range of support to the Country Management Unit, with the highest level of professionalism, diplomacy, tact and discretion. The Team Assistant will report to the Operations Manager based in the Office of the Country Director.
The successful candidate will work under the leadership of the Country Representative and the day to day supervision of the Sector Leader who provide supervision and guidance to the ACS (administrative client support) staff. Selected candidate will provide administrative and client support to the Operational Staff. The job implies frequent interaction with other institutional units, staff in other locations (locally and internationally), Government officials, consultants and external organizations.
Duties and Accountabilities
The Team Assistant’s duties and accountabilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
(i) Operational and administrative support
- Use desktop processing skills to produce complex texts, reports, presentations, charts, figures, graphs, etc., according to World Bank format and distribution.
- Collect and input data provided by Task Team Leaders (TTLs) into the central database, including processing new project status reports.
- Keep abreast of the Organization’s directives and ensure effective processing of all project documents.
- Draft correspondence (standard letters, memos, faxes, etc.) conforming to the Organization’s regional standards, using proper grammar, punctuation and style and proofread materials;
- Draft minutes of meetings and provide assistance in editing large documents.
- Maintain up-to-date unit project files (both paper and electronic) and retrieve data from various sources and compile these for use by the TTLs. Sector Leader, Country Director and/or the Country Management Unit (CMU).
(ii) Information Management and Client interaction
- Answer internal and external queries on the assigned portfolio or, as necessary, take accurate and comprehensive telephone messages, and route them to appropriate persons to handle.
- Maintain current distribution lists, phone/address lists of project/product contacts, and distribute documents for the team.
- Co-ordinate with service units, and liaise frequently with team members both in Washington and in the Country Office;
- Track and report on appropriate aspects of the Team’s operational activities
(iii) Time management & Logistics planning
- Co-ordinate time management and schedules, taking current and future priorities into account, anticipate and monitor changes, and communicate the information;
- Track assigned tasks/project steps/ timetables using modern office management technologies, coordinate with relevant staff, provide assistance and/or information on project-related matters;
- Solve non-routine problems creatively and resourcefully and assist in preparation and logistical planning for various events, e.g. conferences, workshops, negotiations, board presentation and signing, etc.
- Serve as a back-up to other staff and Task Team Assistants on project and administrative tasks.
- Occasionally perform Analytical tasks as may be requested by the Team Leader.
Among other criteria, the successful candidate should be holding:
- Preferably a Diploma in Secretarial Studies or Office Management or Business Administration
- Three (3) years relevant work experience in a large International or Service or Private Sector Organization;
- Proficiency in using advanced functions on Bank standard computer applications (Windows applications: Word, Excel, and PowerPoint);
- Knowledge of and ability to execute diverse work procedures related to the timely processing and production of assigned outputs and supporting administrative activities;
- Applied knowledge of Bank’s organization, procedures and practices, including Bank records management and filing procedures;
- Thorough knowledge of work procedures in assigned work unit;
- Demonstrated use of initiative and ability to make appropriate linkages in work requirements and anticipate next steps; and to follow through on team priorities in the absence of the team leader and respond to requests for information;
- Ability to pass relevant Bank tests (e.g. English language, computer applications, etc.) as required;
- Committed, dedicated and team player with ability to deal tactfully and effectively with staff and clients in a multi-cultural environment;
- Proficient English skills (verbal and written), including ability to draft routine correspondence and edit materials using proper grammar, punctuation and style;
- Effective time management and organizational skills;
- Ability to produce high-quality work under pressure.
In addition to the above selection criteria, the following competencies are expected of the successful candidate:
- Technology and systems knowledge – Demonstrates advanced knowledge and experience working with Microsoft office applications (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, etc.). Has ability and willingness to maintain up-to-date knowledge and skills as technology.
- Project and task management – Exhibits good organizational, problem-solving skills and ability to work competently with minimal supervision. Demonstrates attention to detail and quality. Has ability to manage multiple tasks and complete tasks within agreed schedule.
- Institutional policies, processes, and procedures – Demonstrates knowledge of own department’s programs and products, knows key players, understands own role. Displays understanding of WB policies and procedures relevant to the area of assigned responsibilities and is able to apply/ implement them.
- Versatility and adaptability – Demonstrates flexibility and is receptive to the implementation of new solutions. Is willing to stretch own capability. Demonstrates motivation to avail and adapt oneself to effecting change.
- Client Orientation – Exhibits positive and professional client service attitude; can understand clients’ needs and complete them professionally.
- Drive for Results – Takes personal ownership and accountability to meet deadlines and achieve agreed-upon results, and has the personal organization to do so.
- Teamwork (Collaboration) and Inclusion – Collaborates with other team members and contributes productively to the team’s work and output, demonstrating respect for different points of view.
- Knowledge, Learning and Communication – Has good knowledge of official unit’s language(s). Able to write clearly, edit and proofread draft communications. Able learn and share knowledge/information across the unit.
- Business Judgment and Analytical Decision Making – Able to manage information and support retention and disposition of information and records. Can search, report, and deliver basic information from various sources and independently respond to basic inquiries.
Poverty has no borders, neither does excellence. We succeed because of our differences and we continuously search for qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds from around the globe
Closing Date: 05 June, 2020 (11:59pm UTC)
Jiunge Nasi Telegram⇒Bonyeza Hapa