Position: Project Assistant
Type of role Community and social work
Salary Annual Salary Maximum TZS 27,000,000/=
Contract type Permanent
Contract length 1 year
Full Time 35 hours per week
Application Closing Date 06 Apr 2020
Interview date TBC
Start date April 2020
VSO is the world’s leading international development organisation that works through volunteers to fight poverty. Working in 24 countries around the world, our unique role in international development is to place committed volunteers with carefully selected organisations where their skills can have the greatest impact. Our extraordinary volunteers live and work in some of the world’s poorest communities. Sharing their unique skills and experience to generate new ideas and new ways of doing things, helping the communities they work in lift themselves out of poverty. We’re not about delivering quick fixes, but instead we focus on long-lasting, sustainable change, that will impact generations to come. Join us and help us work towards our vision of a world without poverty.
The ideal candidate for this role has excellent networking and engaging skills. The main responsibilities of the Project Assistant you will work on the global youth engagement strategy to allow VSO Tanzania to engage their alumni. This activity has been happening through International Citizen Services (ICS) and National Youth Engagement Network (NYEN) project as part of the youth projects. Therefore, this activity needs to be scaled up throughout VSO Tanzania. Therefore, this project assistant will review, maintain and update a database of former volunteers, long-term as well as short-term and both national and international. Next to this, this database should also encompass key stakeholders, such as ministers, government officials or other influential partners that we worked with. In collaboration and coordination with the HR department, a mechanism needs to be ensured in order for VSO to assess and document former volunteers preferred method of engagement (e.g newsletters, social media, local events etc). In this role, you will specialise on the engagement of former ICS volunteers and others will focus on non-ICS alumni, but is expected that best practices and good learnings are shared between the projects. So if you are excited about working with young people and you love to engage them more and more to deliver even more great work to the Tanzanian society, this is your job!
Skills, qualifications and experience
- Bachelor degree or equivalent, preferably but not necessarily in marketing, business studies or related areas.
- Proven experience in working with and providing support to 18-25 year old from a wide range of backgrounds with ability to facilitate learning in a non-formal environment;
- Direct experience of working cross-culturally;
- Proven experience in building, maintaining and updating databases;
- Knowledge and proven experience in engagement of (un)identified groups of people;
- Experience in developing promotional materials.
- Communication – ability to communicate, both oral and written, with a range of audiences in fluent English and confident in public speaking.
- Experience of working as a volunteer or working with volunteers to understand key factors that make volunteer placements viable, effective and rewarding.
Competencies and Behaviour
At VSO we believe progress is only possible by working together. Whether you want to join us as an employee, or as a volunteer working in your own country, overseas or online, our selection process includes an assessment based on these core competencies:
- Ability to be open minded and respectful
- Ability to be resilient and adaptive to new situations
- Ability to facilitate positive change and build sustainable working relationships
- Ability to seek and share knowledge
VSO promotes equal opportunities and values a diverse workforce.
VSO reserves the right to close this job early if we receive a sufficient number of applications.
If you’re interested in applying for this role, please download the job description for more information.
To submit your application, click on ‘Make an application’ and complete all relevant fields on the online application form.
VSO has zero tolerance of abuse and exploitation of vulnerable people. We expect all our employees/volunteers to ensure we protect children, young people and vulnerable adults from harm and abide by our safeguarding policy (PDF).
CLICK HERE TO APPLY