Solidaridad is a global civil society organization (CSO) that provides market driven solutions for sustainable production practices across different supply chains. We envision a world in which all we produce, and all we consume, can sustain us while respecting the planet, each other and the next generations. Our mission is to bring together supply chain players and engage them with innovative solutions to improve production, ensuring the transition to a sustainable and inclusive economy that maximizes the benefit for all stakeholders.Title: Project Manager
Duration: 1-year contract
Reporting line: Tanzania Country Manager
Position level: Mid-level**
Main objective of the function
Solidaridad’s Passport to Coffee Export (PACE) project aims to promote a sustainable and inclusive coffee sector development through a robust export oriented coffee value chain. This goal will be achieved through implementation of activities that seek to improve exports of premium quality Tanzanian coffees, increase incomes of coffee farmers including youth and women through job creation, enhance food and nutrition security of smallholder coffee farmers and enhancement of sectoral value addition and marketing. The project targets 22,500 smallholder coffee farmers with 52% being youth aged (18-35 years) and women in Mbeya, Songwe and Ruvuma regions.
Solidaridad is looking to recruit a Project Manager in the Tanzania Country Office. The Project Manager is responsible for leading participatory development, implementation, monitoring, evaluation and learning of the planned interventions in line with the assigned project objectives.
Position in the Organization
The Project Manager reports to the Tanzania Country Manager. The Project Manager coordinates people and processes to ensure that Solidaridad’s Passport to Coffee Export (PACE) project is delivered on time and produce the desired results within scope and allocated resource envelope. S/he will also be expected to work closely with the national and regional programming team, as well as the regional innovation team.
- Review the project proposal, budget, targets, key performance indicators and ensure that the planning is realistic (Measurable, Reportable & Verifiable), both in terms of budget and implementation.
- Develop detailed work plans and budget in coordination with the respective partners as required
- Assist project partners to develop their plans in line with the required project objectives and deliverables.
- Support the project team by providing longer-term vision, strategic direction and appropriate planning aligned with Solidaridad’s regional and global network business plan.
- Work with the concerned staff and partners to ensure effective implementation of the project.
- Review the project plans annually to ensure that they are realistic, both in terms of budget and overall project plan.
- Regularly review & track the project progress against milestones and take corrective action where required, raising issues with the concerned personnel as needed timely and professionally.
- Promote and maintain effective partnerships with the partners and beneficiaries.
- Guide and lead the project team to achieve specific goals, objectives and Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) of the project.
- Ensure that work is appropriately delegated and staff members are empowered to carry out tasks independently where appropriate matching their skills and capacity.
- Ensure efficient project management procedures are implemented to enable monitoring of projects and accurate reporting of progress.
- Ensure strict adherence to Solidaridad’s ethics, policy and pro-actively encourage transparency and openness in all activities.
- Ensure procurement and contracts are prepared and issued to Solidaridad’s standards and procedures/ in-country legal frameworks / partners’ requirements and are managed effectively.
- Manage financial resources of selected tasks and components while coordinating with the Regional Project Finance Manager regarding budget control and financial procedures.
- Support collection and accurate reporting of impact data related to the project as guided by the PMEL Manager.
- Networking with Government and non-Government Organizations, and Private Sectors;
- Build strong relationships with the government authorities and arrange field visits and regular progress review meetings where necessary.
- Learn good practices from other organizations and reflect these in the project.
- Represent Solidaridad, building and maintaining relationships and partnerships with relevant service providers, government, national and international development partners, local stakeholders and communities, private sector and funder Partners representatives for effective implementation of projects.
- Contribute to public communication while supporting a strong and positive Solidaridad brand that is visible and recognizable while working closely with Country Manager and the Regional Communications Officer.
Project Monitoring and Reporting;
- Pay regular field visits to intervention areas to observe progress, with a focus on ensuring ‘quality’ outputs.
- Prepare project progress reports (Monthly and Quarterly) based on a structured M&E framework including a review on financial report and provide necessary feedback.
- Ensure quality monitoring data collection from the field and timely reporting.
- Supervise, coach and provide mentorship to the project staff.
- Assist in the recruitment of project staff (as and when required)
- Manage the performance of the project staff.
- Develop plans for capacity-building of the project team to enable the team to be more self-standing in the future.
- Support effective communications and joint working within the team and with other teams across the organization.
- Identify and discuss with the Country Manager and Regional BD Manager any potential future funding opportunities which present themselves in-country and provide advice on their suitability and potential alignment with the Solidaridad strategic direction.
- Initiate and participate in developing funding proposals
Other Ad-hoc Tasks
- Be cognizant of the wider implications of the project, working effectively with other Solidaridad functions in-country and sometimes at Regional level: Finance, Quality team, the Innovation team as appropriate.
Knowledge and Experience
- Relevant academic level education; Master degree in a relevant field (Agriculture, rural development, Social Science, Management, Business Administration, international development, Project Management etc.).
- At least five (5) years’ experience in managing projects funded by international agencies or development partners.
- At least three (3) years’ experience in a management position with international organizations.
- Demonstrate experience in agricultural value chains preferably coffee.
- An understanding of the policy environment, issues and stakeholders in the agriculture and/or agribusiness sector in East and Central Africa.
- Experience setting up new projects and programmes.
- Track record of delivering project goals within deadlines and budgets across public and private sectors and with NGOs.
- Demonstrable track record of effectively building and sustaining key external and internal relationships at community, utility and governmental levels to realize project goals.
- Leading and managing project teams of stakeholders including staff.
Specific Job Requirements
- Ability to work independently and lead diverse multi-disciplinary team; stakeholder management skills.
- Project management skills including strategy, planning, setting objectives and planning to meet those objectives, implementation, monitoring and evaluation, budgeting, financial management and sustainability.
Strong analytical skills.
- Ability to define new projects, establish overall scope and budget able to influence at senior management level, take a strategic outlook and to manage change where necessary empowering project staff and others to strengthen their capacity and capability through mentoring and coaching.
- Excellent planning, organizational and time management skills, able to work well under pressure both proactively and prioritize a challenging workload.Good communication skills; able to communicate complex concepts in a clear and concise way to non-technical managers both in writing and verbally and to provide professional advice with confidence and tact.
- Motivating and developing teams, including performance management and appraisals.
- Collaborative approach to partnership working in a cross-cultural context; a team player, with strong problem-solving ability.
- Able to carry out regular in-country (and potentially) international visits and to deliver effective presentations.
- Experience in designing and implementing certification programs is desirable.
- Demonstrate experience in proposal development.
- Demonstrate experience in a similar position.
How to apply
Interested candidates that meet the above qualifications should send their cover letter, CVs and salary expectation to: Emails: [email protected]
Subject: *“Project Manager – Passport to Coffee Export (PACE)”
The CVs will be evaluated as they are received only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.