Solidaridad is a global civil society organization (CSO) that provides market driven solutions for sustainable production practices across different supply chains. We envision a world in which all we produce, and all we consume, can sustain us while respecting the planet, each other and the next generations. Our mission is to bring together supply chain players and engage them with innovative solutions to improve production, ensuring the transition to a sustainable and inclusive economy that maximizes the benefit for all stakeholders.
Title : Senior Project Officers (SPO)
Duration: 1- year contract**
Reporting line: Project Manager
Position level: Mid-level
Location: 1 SPO Based in Mbeya/Songwe & 1 SPO based in Mbinga
Main objective of the function
Solidaridad’s Passport to Coffee Export (PACE) project aims to promote a sustainable and inclusive coffee sector development through a robust export oriented coffee value chain. This goal will be achieved through implementation of activities that seek to improve exports of premium quality Tanzanian coffees, increase incomes of coffee farmers including youth and women through job creation, enhance food and nutrition security of smallholder coffee farmers and enhancement of sectoral value addition and marketing. The project targets 22,500 smallholder coffee farmers with 52% being youth aged (18-35 years) and women in Mbeya, Songwe and Ruvuma regions.
The Senior Project Officer is responsible for the day to day design and implementation of the action and project deliverables. S/he is responsible for the coordination of interventions with Partners, beneficiaries, stakeholders and related processes to ensure that Solidaridad’s Passport to Coffee Export project is delivered on time and produce the desired results within scope and allocated resource envelope.
Position in the Organization
The Senior Project Officer reports to the Project Manager. S/he will also be expected to work closely with the national and regional programming team, as well as the regional innovation team.
- Support the preparation of project work plans, budget and time schedules that support implementation of the project activities.
- Support the identification and planning of technical activities and requirements to implement the project as per the organizational standards.
Project Implementation Follow-up;
- Coordinate and implement day to day project activities with beneficiaries and partners in the field ensuring that technical quality and standards are considered and respected during project implementation.
- Ensure project activities are on time, target and budget, using effective monitoring and evaluation (M&E) systems to reach desired impacts.
- Assist the Project Manager to trouble-shoot any project challenges during project implementation and provide feasible solutions.
- Provide regular and timely updates on progress and challenges to the Project Manager and other team members.
Beneficiary Engagement and Accountability;
- Adhere to Solidaridad’s Code of Conduct and treat all beneficiaries with respect and without any distinction or discrimination based on nationality, race, ethnicity, tribe, gender, religious beliefs, political opinion or disability.
- Support the selection of beneficiaries benefiting from the project activities using the tools provided.
- Communicate Solidaridad’s complaints and response mechanism target communities and participate in solving complaints related to the project in coordination with the Project Manager.
- Keep records of all the project activity documents, in particular beneficiary list, completion certificates, attendance sheets etc.
- Help maintain a beneficiary master database containing all beneficiary registration and baseline information, as well as the project activities from which the beneficiaries benefitted and ensure that the data is protected from misuse in line with Solidaridad’s data protection policy.
Internal and External Coordination;
- Participate in project coordination meetings with the project team.
- Participate in the development of project communication materials for internal coordination.
- Ensure that project field staff understand and are able to perform their roles and responsibilities.
- Follow-up the work plans and day-to-day activities of the project field staff.
- Ensure a positive working environment and good team dynamics among project team members.
- Undertake communication and liaison activities to actively consult and involve beneficiaries, key informants, actors, partners and stakeholders in all stages of project design and implementation.
- Cultivate good relations with key actors – local, regional and international, including government authorities and non-government organization actors, through regular attendance at technical meetings and bilateral meetings.
- Identify opportunities to collaborate and coordinate efforts with other organizations to ensure our activities build upon – rather than replicate – the work of others.
- Provide support to partners in project implementation and ensure timely and qualitative implementation of projects by partners in line with Solidaridad and donor requirements.
- Participate in review meetings with partners, with particular attention given to the relationship aspects of partnership collaboration, and ensure that any issues or disputes are resolved in a timely and professional manner.
Logistics and Security;
- Contribute to the development of project plans (e.g. procurement, logistics etc.), when assigned.
- Send accurate and precise order forms in a timely manner to the quality function team.
- Ensure proper management and use of the project assets and stocks.
- Plan field team movements based on available fleet and applicable policies.
- Ensure that each member of the project field team is aware of security issues, policies, standard operating procedures (SOPs) and they follow them accordingly.
Finance and Quality Control;
- Forecast monthly cash requirements for the month’s project activities and submit to the Project Manager.
- Assess the project activities undertaken and ensure efficient use of resources.
- Undertake regular field visits to provide technical guidance and supervision, as well as regularly monitor the progress of the project activities.
- Assist with monitoring project activities implemented by field staff and partners (if any).
- Document lessons learned and best practices and share them with the Project Manager and the Regional Communications Officer, so they can be reflected in project planning, communication materials and decision making.
- Ensure adherence to donor procedures.
- Support the Project Manager in the preparation of progress and final reports, ensuring the quality and accuracy of technical information for activities.
- Participate in communication activities through the regular collection of pictures and stories related to project activities.
- Participate in business development processes through the provision of expert programmatic advice related to contextual knowledge.
Knowledge and Experience
- Relevant academic level education- Undergraduate degree or higher – in relevant field (e.g. Agriculture, Public Policy, Development Studies, Social Science, Project Management, Strategic Management etc.).
- At least three (3) years’ experience working with projects funded by international agencies or development partners.
- Demonstrable experience in project design, planning and implementation.
- Experience with proposal writing and technical report writing.
- Experience in designing and facilitating workshops and seminars would be desirable.
Specific Job Requirements
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team to implement projects in collaboration with local partners to effectively meet project needs.
- Ability to work effectively with governmental and non-governmental organizations and local communities in carrying out project objectives.
- Excellent reporting skills and ability to relate sensitively to diverse groups.
- Self-driven and able to deliver results with minimum supervision.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (in English and Swahili).
- Excellent critical, creative thinking and analytical skills.
- Experience in program administration, operating procedures, oversight and monitoring.
- Ability to work with database applications.
- Knowledge of project funding procedures and guidelines.
- Ability to work in diverse situations.
- At least three (4) years’ experience in agricultural value chains preferably coffee
- Experience in implementing certification projects is an added advantage
- Demonstrate experience in a similar position.
How to apply
Interested candidates that meet the above qualifications should send their cover letter, CVs and salary expectation to: Emails: [email protected]
Subject: “Senior Project Officer – Passport to Coffee Export (PACE)”
The CVs will be evaluated as they are received only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Note: This position is open to Tanzanian nationals and/or candidates that can prove they have the right to work in Tanzania at the time of their application