Mercy Corps and Wasafiri are implementing an 18-month program to assess cross-border violent conflict dynamics and develop a pilot project to strengthen community resilience in northern Tanzania and Kenya’s coast regions. The program, Strengthening Cross-Border Learning and Action to Address Conflict (STaBLE), a conflict prevention and stability programme, funded by the State Department through the United States Embassy in Tanzania will be implemented in Zanzibar, Tanga in Tanzania and Kwale in Kenya. The program seeks to strengthen cross-border collaboration between local actors through deepening the understanding of conflict dynamics, building the capacity of local actors (local authorities and civil society) to understand and address conflict drivers and to promote collaboration to address the cross-border and regional nature of the risk factors that exacerbate conflict and violent extremism. We are presently looking for a committed and dynamic individual to take up the position of a Program Officer For a period of 6 months
About Mercy Corps:
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future. Mercy Corps has a robust portfolio in East Africa, with country offices in Tanzania, Kenya, Uganda, Somalia and Ethiopia working to address structural causes of poverty and injustice and to strengthen systems that enable men, women and children to access opportunities, participate in and contribute to peaceful democratic processes, and thrive in the face of ecological and social change. To do this, we deliver integrated programming to strengthen market and governance systems, address the root causes of conflict, and equip vulnerable populations- in particular youth, women, adolescents and marginalized social groups with the skills, opportunities and resources they need to be healthy, productive and to drive the development of their communities.
We work closely with the private sector, civil society and governance structures at local and national levels to facilitate change and ensure that opportunities are inclusive of all citizens.
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
The Project Officer based in Tanga will work closely with the Country Coordinator to develop a comprehensive strategy to effectively implement a pilot phase in targeted areas to ensure that capacity of local level stakeholders to prevent the spread of pressing conflict issues across the border of Kenya and Tanzania has been strengthened. This also includes a focus on creating a collaborative process that builds trust, strengthens networks and builds shared buy-in between actors on both sides of the border to address conflict risks.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Engage stakeholders at the community level on action planning and developing strategies in support of CVE programming activities, ensuring that program strategies are driven by and aligned with community priorities.
- Assist the program in identifying resources as needed, in preparing terms of references and scopes of work, and provide support and oversight for their services as required.
- Support partners to develop pilot projects that align with program objectives, to develop corresponding budgets and M&E plans.
- Support pilot implementation, identifying resources in a timely way to carry out pilot projects.
- Ensure timely program implementation, using work plans and budget and M&E systems to reach desired impacts, and develop mechanisms for targeted research to inform program design and implementation.
- Perform tasks based on project plans assigned by program management.
- Monitor project progress, report and resolve, or assist in resolving issues.
- Prepare project progress reports and status updates.
- Prepare field reports and success stories regarding the program.
- Support the external learning and communications agendas around best practices and knowledge sharing.
Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) and Reporting
- Work closely with the Country Coordinator and project M&E Manager to ensure that effective M&E systems and processes are embedded within the program implementation and that data is collected, analyzed, and used to inform ongoing adaptation of program strategies and delivery approaches.
- Assist the scheduling and production of formal and informal reports and work plans on all aspects of Tanzania program delivery in a timely and efficient manner.
- Organizational Learning: As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve – we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s Degree in relevant field, degree in social sciences preferred;
- Master’s Degree in any of the above is an advantage;
- Minimum five years’ work experience preferably for other similar international non-governmental organization or a reputable international or national organization;
- Experience with project management and/or monitoring and evaluation;
- Experience with P/CVE or conflict mitigation programming in Tanzania, Tanga and Zanzibar is a plus;
- Excellent communication skills, including report development, writing and editing;
- Competent in Word, Excel and PowerPoint;
- Demonstrated analytical and problem solving skills;
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members;
- Excellent inter-personal skills;
- Highly pro-active and self-disciplined;
- Willingness to travel
The ideal candidate will have a strong curiosity for understanding.
- S/he will be an excellent communicator, multi-tasker, and able to work in ambiguous situations. S/he will be a tolerant and flexible individual able to work in difficult and stressful environments and follow procedures.
- S/he will be a team-player with a positive attitude toward problem solving and conflict resolution. The successful candidate will be focused on team-building; be a strategic thinker, have strong skills in project management and maintain a sense of humor.
Interested candidates who meet the above required qualifications and experience should submit a cover letter, detailed curriculum vitae (CV) listing three professional referees (including a recent supervisor) to [email protected]
on or before Monday 21st September by 4.00 pm. The email subject line must clearly show the job title. Applications without the right subject heading will be automatically disqualified. Please do not attach any certificates.
(Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. We will only get in touch with shortlisted candidates)