Vacancy Announcement IOM/KBO/026/2020
Position title: Migration Health Officer
Position grade UG
Type of Appointment Daily Contractor
Duty station Kibondo
Position number N/A
Job family MHD
Organizational unit VOLREP
Is this a Regional, HQ, MAC, PAC, Liaison Office or Country Office based position? IOM Tanzania
Position rated on N/A
Reports directly to Emergency Operations Officer
Number of Direct Reports 9
II. ORGANIZATIONAL CONTEXT AND SCOPE
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and nongovernmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Movement Operations have been and continue to be a fundamental pillar of the Organization’s work. The organized movement of persons in need of international migration assistance is a primary mandate of the Organization and a cornerstone of IOM’s operations. This mandate has resulted in the international transport of more than 15 million migrants and refugees worldwide. Movement Operations departments in various IOM missions, coordinated under the division of Resettlement and Movement Management (RMM) in the Department of Operations and Emergencies (DOE) at IOM’s Geneva Headquarters, are responsible for all aspects of travel for migrants and refugees under IOM’s auspices, in accordance with the various framework agreements with resettlement and receiving Governments and partners across the spectrum of the Organization’s programmes.
According to the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), the United Republic of Tanzania is hosting over 150,000 Burundian asylum seekers and refugees who have arrived in the country in several waves since April 2015. The majority of refugees and asylum-seekers are hosted by the Government of Tanzania in three refugee camps in the Kigoma region of Tanzania, namely: Nyarugusu, Nduta, and Mtendeli.
Since 2017, IOM, in coordination with UNHCR, the governments of the United Republic of Tanzania and Burundi, as well as local NGOs, has been responsible for the safe and orderly voluntary repatriation of Burundian refugees. Voluntary repatriation (VolRep) of refugees is a traditional area of intervention for IOM, in partnership with UNHCR. Such returns are achieved in accordance with protection concerns and procedures, and the principle of voluntariness.
CHECK>> INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITIES
III. RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
Under the Direct supervision of the Emergency Operations Officer in Kibondo, and in close coordination with the Chief Medical Officer in Kasulu, the incumbent will carry out the following duties and responsibilities:
- Perform pre-embarkation medical checks for all refugees planned for voluntary repatriation prior to departure.
- Coordinate with camp clinic to admission or management of chronic and acute conditions for stability prior to departure.
- Follow up on all medical cases referred to camp clinic to ensure adequate management.
- Supervise IOM VolRep Nurses while they conduct pre-embarkation medical checks.
- Ensure timely, accurate and complete reporting of all activities on the preembarkation checks, as per IOM standards.
- In coordination with the VolRep Project Assistant plan travel arrangements and logistics requirements for medical cases during travel.
- Ensure ambulance escort for the travel convoy is adequately equipped.
- Ensure regular training of IOM Migration Health staff on all relevant technical instructions on pre-embarkation checks and treatment
- Maintain the confidentiality and security of migration health data and prevent fraud throughout the health screening process.
- Develop an SOP in for pre-embarkation checks and fitness to travel in coordination with field supervisors, the Emergency Operations Officer and Project Assistant in Kibondo.
- Perform other such duties as may be assigned.
IV. REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- University Degree in Medicine – MBChB.
- Registered with the Tanzania Medical Practitioners and Dentists Board.
- Minimum of one-year continuous professional working experience in clinical medicine.
- Health sector experience in the United Republic of Tanzania.
- Training/experience in Internal Medicine is an advantage.
- Effectively applies knowledge of migration health issues within the organizational context.
- Correctly frames migration health issues within their regional, global and political context.
(specify the required knowledge) Desirable
- Language required for the position, for example:
- Fluency in English and Kiswahili (oral and written).
- Desirable languages, for example:
- Working knowledge of French and Kirundi.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting dayto-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a serviceoriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Jiunge na Group letu la telegram kwa updates za ajira kila siku
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
How to apply:
Interested candidates should fill in the PH form, submit CV’s and cover letter indicating
Vacancy Notice number with 3 professional references and contacts to [email protected]