Position: Interns (6 posts) with MSc & PhD opportunities
Reports to: Program Coordinator
Work station: Dar es Salaam
Apply by: June 5, 2020
Ifakara Health Institute (IHI) is a leading research organization in Africa with a strong track record in developing, testing and validating innovations for health. Driven by a core strategic mandate for research, training and services, the Institute’s work now spans a wide spectrum, covering biomedical and ecological sciences, intervention studies, health-systems research and policy translation.
IHI in collaboration with various partners plans to implement an Internship Program on Infectious Diseases Modelling: Software Development, Data Management & Analysis, and mathematical Modelling with MSc and PhD opportunities – as detailed in the Internship Program Information. This program will be hosted by the Training and Capacity Building Unit at IHI with initial support from Pan-African Mosquito Control Association (PAMCA). Therefore, the Institute is looking for six (6) qualified candidates to join an internship program and potentially MSc and PhD programs. Candidates might also be required to support some of on-going research projects in a related field and trained to work on attracting grants to support their own MSc and PhD programs.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Enhance your understanding of the mosquito biology and related field
- Enhance programming skills by working on specific projects
- Enhance data management and analysis skills
- Enhance mathematical modelling skills
- Gain experience on how to participate in a team of research scientists
- Gain training on how to write research grants
- Participate in writing reports, scientific manuscripts, and other outputs to disseminate results in technical working group, local and international conferences, peer-reviewed journals
- Seek support from senior scientist to apply for grant to support masters and Ph.D. programs
- Provide support to undertake different review related to infectious disease modelling projects
- Assist with any other duties as directed by program coordinator
Qualification and Experience
Holder of BA or BSc or MSc in computer science, computer engineering, engineering, mathematics, health informatics or any other related discipline.
Skills and Competencies
- Proficiency with data analysis packages, e.g., STATA, R, MATLAB.
- Proficiency with statistical software R is a plus.
- Strong data management and data analysis skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively in spoken and written English, with good presentation skills.
- Experience developing database web-based application.
- Ability to work independently, in interdisciplinary teams, and as part of a team on large research projects.
- Having some knowledge on mosquito biology and infectious diseases is a plus.
- Must have ambition to join MSc and PhD program in related field.
- Mathematical modelling experience is a must for candidates with MSc degree planning to join a PhD program.
- Experience developing mobile applications.
- Experience publishing in international peer reviewed journals a plus.
An attractive and competitive remuneration package will be offered to successful candidates selected to join MSc and PhD programs as per IHI salary scales.
IHI is an equal opportunity employer. We prohibit intentional biases or discrimination and harassment of any kind at the work place and during recruitment. All employment decisions are based solely on job requirements and individual qualifications, and our recruitment process is governed by the labour laws of Tanzania.
Mode of Application
All candidates who meet the above job requirements should send their application letters together with a personal/motivational statement; their detailed curriculum vitae (CVs) showing contact addresses including email, telephone/cell phone numbers and copies of academic and professional certificates to the address below. The deadline for this application is June 5th, 2020.
All e-mail application subject lines should indicate by specifying the position applied for: APPLICATION
FOR INTERNSHIP PROGRAM – INFECTIOUS DISEASES MODELLING.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview.
Human Resources Manager,
Ifakara Health Institute, Kiko Avenue, Mikocheni,
P o. Box 78373,
Dar es Salaam