Study in Japan The Hokkaido University President’s Scholarship for Foreign Students
Deadline : January 8, 2021
Study in Japan The Hokkaido University President’s Scholarship for Foreign Students Applications are now open for the Hokkaido University President’s Fellowship for selected international students at Masters and PhD levels. Hokkaido University welcomes applicants who are current students or former students of selected universities around the world to apply for the Hokkaido University President’s Fellowship. The scholarship is for prospective international students enrolling in Master’s, Professional, or Doctoral Degree programs who plan to enroll in October 2021. Due to its competitiveness, the university requires applicants to possess an excellent academic record as well as a strong interest in Hokkaido University and Japanese culture.
The fellowships are awarded for different periods of time depending on the type of fellowship you will have applied for. The length of the fellowships may also vary depending on the field of study under which the fellowship will be awarded. The length of the fellowships are as below.
- Master’s Degree can be awarded for a Maximum of 2 years
- Professional Degree in Accounting and Public Policy may be awarded for a Maximum of 2 years
- Professional Degree in Law may be awarded for a Maximum of 3 years
- Doctoral Degree may be awarded for a Maximum of 3 years
- Doctoral Degree in Medicine, Dentistry, Veterinary Medicine, Infectious Diseases, or Clinical Pharmacy may be awarded for a Maximum of 4 years
- Research, for students who will be enrolling in any of the above fellowship programs may be awarded for a Maximum of 6 months
- The fellowship program will offer approximately 2,300,000 yen for degree seeking students, for the 1st year and approximately 1,800,000 yen for the 2nd year
- This fellowship grant will include funds to cover application fees, enrollment fees, tuition fees and a monthly stipend.
- For Non-degree seeking students the fellowship will award then a scholarship amount of approximately 2,240,000 yen for the 1st year and approximately 1,800,000 yen for the 2nd year
- You will receive a Monthly stipend worth 100,000 yen to cover your living costs.
- Participants of the fellowship will also receive an additional amount worth 220,000 yen for degree seeking students as well as 70,000 yen for research students is paid in the month of enrollment
- You will receive a 35,000 yen amount for the months of April and October to cover the Fellowship recipient’s travel expenses incurred when traveling to Japan and returning to your home country at the completion of their studies and research
- Fellowship participants will be housed in the University dormitory during the benefit period
- You must be a current student or an alumni students / graduate of a university that has concluded Inter-University Exchange Agreements and a Memorandum of Understanding on Student Exchange with Hokkaido University.
- You must be a self-supporting student, without any other scholarships or fellowships when enrolling in Hokkaido University
- Current students already enrolled at Hokkaido University may not apply for the fellowship program
- You are required to have achieved a GPA that is in the top 25% of your class or an equivalent level at their home university
- Applicants who possess equivalent GPA levels must be certified by the president of their home university.
Also apply for these:
Applicants cannot apply directly to Hokkaido University and must submit their applications along with supporting documents to their university. The university will then select one candidate and will forward the application of the selected candidate to Hokkaido University within the application period. You must arrange and submit the following documents along with your application
- A fully completed Application for Hokkaido University President’s Fellowship to be downloaded under Form 1 link.
- Before submitting the application, please make sure to contact your prospective supervisor directly and consult with them concerning the topic and plan of your research.
- A consent letter written by your prospective supervisor You are advised to contact your prospective supervisor directly and consult with them concerning the topic and plan of your research. On agreement, your supervisor will issue you a consent letter
- Your Official Transcripts for all your previous academic degrees.
- You must submit a letter of recommendation from a supervisor at your university to support your application
- Your university must issues an official candidacy announcement. This must be issued by the university’s president to the President of Hokkaido University
To see the list of participating universities, Click here
For more information, visit the official website here