JIUNGE MAGROUP YETU YA WHATSAPP. BONYEZA HAPA
TITLE: Livelihood Officer- Morogoro
TEAM/PROGRAM: Programme Operations
POST TYPE : NATIONAL
Level 3: √ the post holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work country programs; or are visiting country programs; or because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.
The Livelihood Officer will work as part of an interdisciplinary team, under the guidance of the Livelihood Coordinator. She/he will be based in Morogoro and will be responsible for coordinating with project Nutrition Officers to identify and provide assistance to members of Care Groups. Assistance includes productive asset transfers, agricultural production training, homestead garden support and training, post-harvest handling and storage assistance, and food preservation training. She/he will also manage the formation of village Savings and Loans Groups (VSLAs) composed of members of Care Groups who voluntarily wish to join. She/he will also be responsible for working closely with Nutrition Officers to identify and train various stakeholders in nutrition-sensitive agriculture including the importance of diversified household food production and consumption, sanitation and hygiene practices, and gender-equitable household decision making regarding food security resources such as food, food storage items and potable water devices such as filters. He/she will be responsible for ensuring high quality project implementation, monitoring and reporting of all project activities.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Save the Children has been operational in Tanzania since 1986 providing support to children through developmental and humanitarian relief programmes delivered in support of Government of Tanzania priorities and policies both directly and through local partners. Current programming focuses on child protection, child rights governance, education, nutrition, HIV/TB and emergency response. In 2012, as part of a global reorganization process, Save the Children combined programmes of SCUK, SCUS, SC Sweden to create a single operation in Tanzania. We currently have an operational presence in Morogoro, Iringa, Rukwa Lindi, Shinyanga, Zanzibar, Songwe, and Kigoma and we work through partners in other parts of the country. We employ nearly 100 staff and have an annual operating budget of approximately $15million.
Reports to: Livelihood Coordinator- Morogoro
Staff directly reporting to this post: Nil
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
- Co-lead with Nutrition Project Officers, the start-up, implementation, monitoring and adaptation of nutrition-sensitive agriculture and livestock activities to improve access to and use of nutritious food through behaviour change and the diversification of food production.
- Manage and oversee training in nutrition-sensitive agriculture for various stakeholders.
- Manage asset transfer activities, demonstration plot development, and training in agriculture production and homestead gardening practices with women and households participating in Care Groups.
- Manage and oversee training in post-harvest handling, storage and food preservation practices.
- Manage the formation of and provide training to VSLA groups, and monitor group activities and progress.
- Train and oversee partners, agricultural extension officers and community volunteers who deliver household outreach and group training.
- Regularly travel to field site locations in councils to lead the start-up, manage implementation, and in coordination with MEAL staff, the monitoring of project activities.
- Build other staff capacity for nutrition-sensitive agriculture activity design, implementation and monitoring.
- Oversee and contribute to the design of assessments in order to guide program design, implementation, monitoring and adaptation.
- Develop technical materials, in collaboration with technical coordinators and possibly outside consultants, to further project activities, objectives and results.
- Provide timely and accurate written and verbal reporting.
- Contribute to project strategic planning and to well-written, focused project reports, annual implementation plans, success stories and other written products.
- Ensure high quality project implementation, monitoring and reporting.Make regular field visits to monitor project quality and collect data.
- Collaborate with MEAL staff to ensure that collection and analysis of data is accurate, rigorous and incorporated into project implementation.
- Coordinate with other Project Officers in work planning, implementation, monitoring, reporting, and adaptation.
Representation and Coordination
- Participate in technical working groups and liaise with other project implementing organizations.
- Serve as a focal point with local and international partners, government representatives, donors and other organizational stakeholders.
BEHAVIOURS (Values in Practice)
- holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values;
- holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved;
- sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same;
- widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale;
- builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters;
- values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength;
- approachable, good listener, easy to talk to;
- develops and encourages new and innovative solutions;
- willing to take disciplined risks;
- honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity;
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree in agriculture or related field preferably Bsc Agriculture general.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant field experience with an international organization in agriculture and livestock programming.
- Strong technical grasp of agriculture, livestock, climate change adaptation (CCA), environmental safeguards strategies, and natural resource management.
- Experience, knowledge and skills in improved homestead garden production, demonstration plots, agricultural extension agent engagement, food preservation, and post-harvest handling and storage practices.Demonstrated experience in project and time management.
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills in English required.
- Demonstrated experience in working effectively with CSOs and community-level actors, stakeholders and beneficiaries.
- Experience applying and knowledge of the design, implementation and best practices for promoting behaviour change and adoption of improved practices and technologies in agriculture and livestock programming.
- Significant knowledge of agriculture, food security, nutrition and gender issues in Morogoro.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to lead and work effectively in team situations and independently.
- Familiarity and understanding of donor policies and procedures is a plus.
- Local candidates are encouraged to apply.
- Additional job responsibilities
- The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
- The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures;
- We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Safeguarding our Staff:
- The post holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI anti-harassment policy
- Health and Safety
- The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.
Location: Tanzania, United Republic of
Employee Status: Fixed Term
Closing Date: Apr 20, 2020
JIUNGE GROUP LETU LA TELEGRAM. BONYEZA HAPA