Location: Stone Town, Unguja Island, Zanzibar / Wete, Pemba Island, Zanzibar
Hours: 7:00 – 17:00, Monday to Friday (variable)
Annual Salary: Confidential
Reporting: Zone Operations Manager
MISSION, VISION, VALUES
Community Forests Pemba (CFP) is a Tanzanian non-governmental organization founded and headquartered on Pemba Island, Zanzibar which has been working with local partners and its international sister organization, Community Forests International since 2008 to advance shared goals of social, economic, and ecological prosperity. Together we have planted over 3 million trees, innovated several new climate-smart technologies and enterprises, and demonstrated that the best solutions come directly from the people who need them most.
Mission: To overcome poverty and adapt to climate change by sharing knowledge, advancing sustainable livelihoods, and restoring the natural environment.
Vision: Zanzibar communities thrive in harmony with the natural world.
- Trust is essential to strong relationships, and relationships are the foundation of our work. We act with honor and integrity to preserve trust between all members of our community.
- Solidarity. Tuko pamoja – we are together. Everyone is equal and has a role to play in creating positive change. We believe in sharing our challenges and working as one.
- Impact. We believe that we can change the world through innovation in Zanzibar. We share our local lessons and stories widely to maximize our positive impact globally.
Key Performance Indicators
- Deliver continuous in-field training on increasing climate-smart horticulture productivity and production for more than 700 small scale farmers per year (52% women, 50% youth) through a Training of Trainers (TOTs) and Farmer Field School (FFS) framework.
- Provide intensive off-site instruction at partner training centres to more than 165 small scale farmers per year (55% women, 50% youth).
- Establish at least 2 model climate-smart organic farms at the ward level with leading small-scale farmers.
- Oversee the nursery propagation and field planting of more than 25,000 horticulture crops and tree seedlings per year.
- Ensure achievement of world-class outcomes including increased diversity of production for 90% of small-scale farmer trainees and an average 50% increase in farmer yields.
QUALIFICATIONS & ABILITIES
- At least 3 years of professional experience in a similar role.
- Proficiency in digital applications including but not limited to Excel, Word, PowerPoint.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and Swahili.
- Strong interpersonal skills and experience working directly with small-scale farmers.
- Flexible, organized, and collaborative team player with a higher degree of independence.
Communication. Effectively explain complex concepts in simple, clear language and accurately interpret the ideas, information, and needs of others.
Accountability. Holds self and others accountable for all decisions and interpersonal relationships while following through on commitments and focusing on those activities that have the greatest positive impact.
Innovation and creative problem-solving. Ability to develop new and better ideas or solutions that result in the improvement of team performance or outcomes.
To apply, please send a cover letter and Curriculum Vitate (CV) outlining your experience as it relates to this job description to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading ‘Horticultural Officer’.
Community Forests Pemba is committed to diversity in our work environment and we encourage applications from both women and men, young and old, and persons living inside and outside of Zanzibar. This position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
Jiunge Nasi Telegram⇒Bonyeza Hapa