Position: Manager of Research
This role supports in all aspects of intellectual leadership, strategic direction and management of the research programmes with special emphasis on Thematic Research, Collaborative Research, commissioned studies and special workshops. The position holder provides liaison with researchers and monitors their progress according to agreed criteria, communicates with, and provides support to project coordinators, steering resource persons and other members of the research network. Within the mandate of the Research Department and under the guidance of the Director of Research, the Manager of Research has the responsibility for seeing that decisions are made within a value for money culture, and that Departmental performance standards are met.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage the formulation and coordination of new research projects.
- Reviewing final research papers being considered for publication in AERC’s Research Paper Series and other publications and providing progress reports on departmental activities to AERC Committee of Directors, the various governance organs of AERC (the AERC Board, the Programme Committee) and donors.
Active Participation/ Liaison with Research Network
- Managing the research process by liaising with, and supporting researchers, resource persons and other members of the AERC network to achieve stated objectives of the various research activities.
Coordination with other Departments and Divisions
- Managing the calendar of AERC flagships events and projects supported by the programme administrators and assistants.
- Taking the lead in coordinating inputs from the Department into the preparation of the annual Programme of Work and Budget and revisions thereof for the Research Programme as well as documentation for the Programme Committee meeting.
Qualification and Experience
- PhD in Economics, Macroeconomics, development economics or other specialized fields of economics.
- At least five years relevant experience.
- Strong track record of publications in economics.
- Experience in coordination and management of large-scale policy-oriented research in economics is a requirement.
- Experience in coordination of a network of Senior Researchers.
Key Skills and Competencies
- Understanding of Economics and key economic issues in Africa.
- Very good familiarity with statistical and econometric software and management of large data set.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English. Proficiency in French is an added advantage.
- Well organized and able to multi-task and meet deadlines with attention to details.
- Good interpersonal skills and a good team player.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Ability and readiness to travel in Africa.
- AERC offers a competitive remuneration and benefits package.
- Women applicants are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Due to the expected volume of applications, AERC will only enter into further correspondence with short-listed candidates.
How to Apply
Please manually apply for this job using the details below:
Interested applicants are invited to visit AERC’s website at www.aercafrica.org to view the detailed descriptions of duties and required qualifications. All applications should be sent to email@example.com by Friday, April 10th 2020.