Job Opportunity at EGPAF- Director of Operations (DO) April 2022
Title: Director of Operations (DO), Tanzania
Location: Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Reports To: Country Director
*Please note: We are accepting local candidates only for this position at this time.
How will you fight for an AIDS-free generation?
Job Opportunity at EGPAF- Director of Operations (DO) April 2022 The DO will support the attainment of the Foundation’s overall goals by providing operational and administrative support to the Tanzania EGPAF program. Reporting to the Country Director, this position oversees the operations department, comprised of finance, contracts and grants, IT, HR, finance and accounting, field operations and administration functions. The DO is an integral member of EGPAF Tanzania’s Senior Leadership Team (Tanzania SLT) and Senior Management Team (Tanzania SMT). They will be responsible for enabling a culture of excellence in all operations functions at EGPAF Tanzania, and will enhance the efficiency of the department by ensuring that optimal operations staffing, processes and infrastructure are in place. The DO will be responsible for identifying, mitigating and managing risks and enhancing cross-departmental collaborations (including with global office and regional office).
No two days are alike at EGPAF, but what can you expect in this role?
Accounting & Finance
- Oversees the budget development process and develops systems to ensure activities are implemented in line with approved budgets;
- Ensures that all uses of the Foundation’s funds are properly prepared, reviewed, approved, and documented, in line with all appropriate policies, procedures, authority levels, and local laws, and ensures that this information is properly entered into the accounting system;
- Manages all project payment transactions including full implementation of electronic and mobile banking payments i.e. eliminate all forms of cash and check payments from the project
- Oversees the month end accounting closing processes and coordinates the preparation of financial reports, analyzes and interprets financial data, and participates in strategic planning efforts
- Manages country office cash flow and forecasting—including preparing and submitting funds requests
- Serves as the country business official with key donors – and makes financial presentations with strategic stakeholders such as USAID, MOH, Other Implementing Partners, etc.
- Ensures that all required donor financial reports are completed and submitted on time
- Ensures all country office reports and certifications are provided on a timely basis and that there is proactive follow-up on issues raised
- Ensures that accurate monthly project budget variance reports are presented to the Chief of Party on a timely basis
Sub-Award and Sub-Contractor Management
- Oversees the management of complex sub-recipients and sub-contractors (local NGOs, CBOs, FBOs and INGOs and government entities)
- Oversees the implementation of the annual sub-recipient monitoring and support plans
- Implements systems to monitor the operational management, performance and compliance of these sub-recipients;
- Monitors all subcontract financial management and reporting, as well as build local capacity of subcontract staff to manage subcontracts;
- Ensures all documentation regarding the management of these agreements is complete and well organized and liaises with the Washington DC office regarding all applicable agreement matters – including the closeout of these agreements.
- Ensures prompt escalation to the Country Director and Washington D.C Office on sub-recipient non-compliance e.g. on potentially disallowed costs, etc.
Procurement and Logistics
- Supports the project managers to develop procurement plans in line with approved budgets
- Oversees the execution of the procurement plans by the procurement department, ensuring that all procurements are in strict compliance with Foundation and Donor Policies
- Ensures all procurement activities are properly documented and all appropriate prior approvals are obtained;
- Ensures that sound inventory, fleet and property management procedures are in place and being adhered to at all times
- With the HR Manager, oversees the implementation of the performance management and compensation systems in coordination with International HR;
- Ensures the HR team has up-to-date employee contracts, personnel files, and all other applicable documentation for the HR function;
- Oversees the recruitment process, management of leave, staff development, and training, as well as the regular review of the country’s Staff Handbook, job descriptions, and the accurate and timely submission of all HR reports;
- With the senior management, implement and manage a team-building program for country staff, including formal training, personal and profession peer support, mentoring and professional development.
- Ensures an accurate and up-to-date Business Continuity Plan is in place, as well as on-boarding and exiting procedures for all staff;
- Oversees work visa application and renewal processes as applicable
- Ensures all appropriate IT equipment and infrastructure is in place, well maintained, safeguarded, and properly functioning with minimal downtime,
- Ensures continuous training for staff on all IT-related systems, policies, and procedures.
- Ensures that the Foundation’s back up architecture is adequate and routinely tested
- Oversees the general maintenance, security, and use of the Foundation’s office premise(s), equipment, and supplies and ensures that appropriate procedures are in place for receiving visitors and external phone calls.
Audit, Risk and Compliance
- Ensures that a “culture of compliance” is adopted in accordance to all Donor, Foundation, and In-Country policies and procedures (including all applicable local laws) by providing clear guidance to all staff, maintaining up-to-date knowledge of all applicable rules and regulations, and developing and monitoring systems to ensure all activities are implemented and documented in accordance with these policies.
- Takes the lead in preparing for and facilitating the auditing activities of the Foundation’s internal auditor, as well as any operational review on behalf of a donor, external auditor, or in-country governmental organization. This position proactively takes the lead in addressing any issues identified
- Protects the interests of the Foundation by ensuring full compliance with statutory requirements in all applicable areas, including health and safety laws, labor and immigration laws, tax laws and other country and local laws and regulations.
- Ensures appropriate registration and certification of the Foundation as required under the NGO act / company act and all other applicable statutory bodies e.g. social security
- Monitors all new and pending laws, regulations, codes of practice and court rulings that could have an impact on the Foundation’s operations, advises SMT accordingly, and proactively implements any necessary changes.
- Directs the preparation and submission of legal / statutory / taxation returns and other information required in compliance with legal requirements, including requirements under local tax laws.
- Serves as the primary contact with the Foundation’s legal advisors (attorney, labor lawyer, tax advisor etc.), and ensures the Foundation has ready access to, and established partnerships with, competent legal counsel always.
- Proactively notifies the SMT and relevant DC office department of legal risks or challenges such as lawsuits, engages legal advice where necessary, and works collaboratively to resolve such issues in the best interests of the Foundation. Where legal responsibilities are delegated to other staff, closely manages delegated tasks and ensures these are clearly defined and included in work-plans and job descriptions
- Ensures that Field Operations units are adequately supported, supervised and that compliance standards between the central office and field offices are maintained at the same level
- Spearheads the adoption of the project management initiatives including facilitating capacity building for operations managers on project management for development (PMDPRO) initiatives, customization and roll out of project management tools as RACI Matrix, GANTT Charts and other relevant project management resources
- Influences innovative approaches to Operations management in order to achieve organizational effectiveness. This entails promoting a culture of curiosity, facilitating channels for best practice identification and adoption from within and outside EGPAF, and making strategic decisions on where to allocate/prioritize scarce resources for maximum impact
- Serve as the alternate point of contact for the USAID after the Chief of Party.
- Other duties as may be assigned by the Country Director
To be successful, you will have:
- 10 years’ experience in a Senior Level Finance or Accounting role
- Master’s degree in business Management, Operations or any other relevant field
- Professional qualification in Finance or Accounting (CPA, or ACCA) plus 5 years of post-certification experience
- Excellent knowledge of donor regulations, including CDC/PEPFAR USAID, Global Fund and other major international donors; this includes managing complex USG projects with $10M-$20M in annual funding; experience managing multiple donors with different reporting demands
- Finance – Demonstrated financial management experience including preparing, managing and monitoring budgets, contracts and negotiations; ability to exercise financial and administrative oversight of complex sub-grant programs.
- Proven leadership capabilities and solid experience managing, mentoring and developing staff.
- Experience in developing and managing the implementation of procurement and logistics policies and procedures.
- Experience managing operations teams in dispersed geographic settings and working with HQ and Regional based support teams
- Technical, analytical and diplomatic skills with clear experience in the provision of advice and support to local government, other stakeholders, and senior leadership teams
Bonus points if you have:
- Understanding of and experience in HIV/AIDS management
- Working knowledge of project management principles and tools
Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation (EGPAF) is on a mission to create a world where no mother, child, or family is devastated by HIV and AIDS, and we are making an impact. We are a proven leader in the global fight to end HIV and AIDS, and an advocate for every child to live a full and healthy life into adulthood. For more than 30 years, EGPAF has been a leader in meeting urgent needs in pediatric HIV and AIDS in the world’s most affected regions. We carry out our values of passion, innovation, teamwork, leadership, integrity, excellence and equity every day, while maximizing our impact in the communities we serve. Join us on our fight for an AIDS-free generation!
As a global, multinational and multicultural organization, EGPAF believes that diversity in the workplace enriches our work and enhances our impact and effectiveness. We believe that employees have the right to work in a climate of mutual respect and integrity that promotes dignity and respect for all, and that enables them to reach their full potential. The Foundation is committed to advancing diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging (DEI&B), and we strongly encourage those with the following identities to apply: BIPOC, women and non-binary, LGBTQIA+, individuals with disabilities, veterans, and other members of historically underrepresented communities.
EGPAF is an equal opportunity employer and affords equal opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment regardless of race/ethnicity, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, and sexual orientation), national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to country law requirements, EGPAF complies with US laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the Foundation has facilities.
The Foundation does not charge any fees at any stage of the recruitment process. If you are asked to pay a fee at any stage of recruitment, please contact email@example.com.Ajira Mpya Kila Siku Kwenye Simu Yako.
Jiunge Nasi Telegram⇒Bonyeza Hapa