HEAD AND CHAIR OF SURGERY
The Aga Khan Health Service, Tanzania (AKHST) an institution of The Aga Khan Development Network, has completed a major expansion of the Aga Khan Hospital, Dar es Salaam. This expansion aims at enhancing the Hospital’s facilities, technology and capacity which will allow it to become the leading provider of high-quality medical care focusing on tertiary medicine, reversing the flow of medical tourism and enhancing its capacity to deliver high quality health sciences education.
The Hospital’s recent expansion focuses on expanding key clinical services including the development of comprehensive cardiology, oncology and neurosciences programmes as well as the expansion of orthopedics and trauma, diagnostic imaging, pathology, critical care, and women and child health.
The Hospital is ISO 9001 certified and Joint Commission International Accredited which is a testimony to the provision of the highest level of quality and patient safety that compares with the best hospitals in the world. The Hospital is also a teaching site for The Aga Khan University, which offers postgraduate medical education programs leading to Masters of Medicine in Family Medicine, Internal Medicine and Surgery. The Aga Khan Hospital is also an accredited internship site and accepts 60 interns annually.
The Hospital has also established 23 outreach health facilities that are located across 11 regions of Tanzania and are connected via an integrated health systems that supports a strong continuum of care from primary to tertiary medicine.
We are seeking for enthusiastic and qualified experienced personnel for the following position:
HEAD AND CHAIR OF SURGERY- (1 POSITION)
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, AKHD and Associate Dean, PGME, the Head and Chair of Surgery will lead clinical, academic and administrative program in Surgery and ensure the delivery of comprehensive services in an efficient and effective manner. He/she will integrate the vision for the department, strategy and actionable plan for strengthening and expansion of surgery services including delivery of training and clinical services by faculty, residents and interns within the department. The HoD will work with the surgery department consultants to deliver a context-oriented curriculum reviews, enhance the quality of the postgraduate medical education program, improve the quality of patient care through enhancing scope of services, role modeling, support the sustainability of the training programs, and deliver the evidence-based clinical care guidelines and a culture of continuous quality improvement. The HoD will coordinate with other stakeholders to improve partnerships and improve performance of the department.
- Provide a strong and effective leadership of the surgery service, including budget planning and financial management, in accordance with institutional assignment of such responsibilities.
- Review the department’s vision and strategy and effectively communicate how it contributes to the success of individuals, the hospital, the PGME program and profession.
- Coordinate clinical and education program for the department and develop a system to track and report learning metrics of individual residents, interns and organize and actively participate in various clinical teachings.
- Train, mentor and supervise postgraduate residents to be able to independently manage surgical problems and general surgical operations to the highest level of competence.
- Set individual faculty member goals specific to talents, interest and responsibilities.
- Ensure a comprehensive expectation for each of each surgery sub-specialty
- Achieve case mix and volumes targets for each surgery subspecialty
- Ensure clinical staff development targets are met
- Lead and achieve JCIA especially quality of car el patient safety standards
- Provide professional development programmes & opportunities for staff
- Address any complaints, request or suggestion from staff and/or users of surgery services.
- Ensure high level discipline in the department
- Design and implement a contingency plan to ensure that essential services are available during emergency situations or other conditions when laboratory services are limited or unavailable.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor of Medicine and/or Bachelor of Surgery
- Master’s Degree in Surgery / Board certified or fellows of their respective colleges in the field of Surgery.
- Super Specialty Training or Fellowship is an added advantage.
- At least 7 years ‘experience with at least 4 years’ experience working in a similar role.
- Evidence of encouraging and supporting diversity among a Department’s constituents, creating an environment of professionalism, respect, tolerance, and acceptance.
- Demonstrated record of excellent clinical skills, a talent for teaching and interest in medical education.
- Demonstrated record of high-quality medical research and leading collaborative research teams.
- Demonstrated ability to balance education, research and clinical care.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to communicate effectively and diplomatically, and to work flexibly and independently with multiple reporting relationships.
- Emotional intelligence and personal maturity, enthusiasm for working in a developing country, cultural flexibility and competence, and a passion for improving healthcare delivery.
- Strategic and innovative thinking skills, and the ability to foster interdisciplinary collaboration.
- Experience in evidence-based medicine, quality improvement, data-driven decision making and program evaluation.
- Professional experience in cross-cultural and low-income settings is strongly preferred
- Ability to work with diverse groups and commitment to advancing workplace diversity.
PLEASE NOTE: ONLY SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED FOR INTERVIEWS.
APPLICATIONS SHOULD BE SUBMITTED ELECTRONICALLY TO: firstname.lastname@example.org WITH THE SUBJECT LINE OF THE POSITION OR HAND DELIVERED TO HUMAN RESOURCE DEPARTMENT, P. 0. BOX 2289, OCEAN ROAD, DAR ES SALAAM.
CLOSING DATE FOR SUBMISSION OF APPLICATIONS IS END OF BUSINESS DAY ON 21ST JULY, 2020.