WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE OF THE ASSIGNMENT:
WFP Tanzania’s Communications and Partnerships Unit aims to enhance public awareness and understanding of WFP’s work in the country. It aims to improve brand recognition through a variety of communication avenues to appeal to as wide an audience as possible. The Unit’s work extends to include WFP’s partnerships with donors. In this regard, the Unit’s work spreads over a spectrum of tasks which include engaging with donors, developing proposals, editing reports and responding to donor queries.
The Unit is recruiting a Communications Consultant. Reporting to the Head of Unit, the candidate will support both the communications and partnership aspects of the Unit’s work including writing and editing project proposals and reports.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Support the team in developing and implementing a communications work plan in order to maintain and enhance the visibility and reputation of WFP
- Support media relations for press related events and activities, including media visits to the field, one-to-one interviews and press conferences
- Draft press releases, media briefs, talking points and speeches
- Generate high quality written content, including op-eds and human-interest stories covering a breadth of WFP work.
- Support the team in planning, managing and evaluating communications campaigns and events that impact the views of the public, opinion leaders and donors
- Provide support in developing and implementing a social media plan which leverages content, platforms, networks and partners to enhance coverage and support of WFP’s activities
- Prepare communications products, including donor specific visibility content such as text, photos, videos and audio for use across a range of platforms
- Monitor and analyze traditional and social media to inform the development and/or evaluation of communication activities and strategies
- Maintain contact list of Journalists, media outlets and support the flow of news/information about WFP’s work to the media in order to support regular and appropriate communications
- Write situation reports and prepare Country Briefs on a timely basis.
- Provide support in drafting/editing proposals in co-ordination with relevant units and bring them to a camera-ready stage to share with donors.
- Coordinate donor reporting, including updating and following up on the reporting matrix, and work with relevant units to ensure that reports are camera ready for submission to donors.
- Other as required.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Passionate, creative and versatile writer with proven publishing record of human-interest stories with experience in writing speeches, media briefs, talking points, project proposals, reports, scripts and social media posts.
- Proven experience in utilising specialist communications techniques and technologies to develop multi-media assets.
- Work experience in journalism in a newsroom environment is a plus.
- Experience in working in fundraising, drafting donor proposals and reports.
- Experience in producing social media content.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Advance :Advanced University degree in Journalism, Public Relations, Communications or other relevant field, or first university degree with additional years of related work experience and/or trainings/courses.
International Professional: Fluency (level C) in English language.
National Professional: Fluency (level C) in English language and Swahili
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
The application deadline 23rd June 2020
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
Jiunge Nasi Telegram⇒Bonyeza Hapa