Application Deadline: June 1st 2020
YALI Regional Leadership Center East Africa which is part of President Obama’s Young African Leaders Initiative and one of the four regional hubs that provides transformational learning and improved leadership skills to young Africans. We request your support in spreading the news about this exciting program to international students on your campus.
Located at Kenyatta University, in Nairobi, Kenya, the Center is more than a location for learning or a venue for collaboration; it is a philosophy, a forward-leaning culture of diversity that invites dreaming and thinking differently to define and realize one’s potential. The program is inclusive, embracing future leaders regardless of religion, ethnicity, socio-economic status, gender, or disability.
Selected participants aged 18-35 years, drawn from 14 countries in East and Central Africa; namely Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda, Burundi, Somalia, Sudan, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Djibouti, Democratic Republic of Congo, Central Africa Republic, South Sudan, and Congo, engage in innovative leadership training across three tracks of study of (1) Business and Entrepreneurship, (2) Civic Leadership, and (3) Public Management.The YALI Regional Leadership Center East Africa is a diverse and dynamic learning environment that will provide the training, networking, business and entrepreneurial skills to enhance your ability to lead.
Competition for the YALI Regional Leadership Center East Africa is merit-based and open to young East African leaders who meet the following criteria:
- Are 18 to 35 years of age at the time of application submission,
- Are citizens and residents of one of the following countries: Burundi, Central African Republic. Republic of the Congo, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda,
- Are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents of the U.S.
- Are eligible to receive any necessary visa to Kenya, and
- Are proficient in reading, writing, listening and speaking English.
SELECTION PROCESS AND CRITERIA
Selection for participation in the YALI Regional Leadership Center East Africa will be conducted as a merit-based, open competition. All eligible applications will be reviewed by a selection panel. Chosen semi-finalists will then be interviewed before a final selection is made and an invitation to join the program is issued.
Selection panels will use the following criteria to evaluate applications:
- A demonstrated leadership in public service, business and entrepreneurship, or civic engagement.
- Active engagement in public or community service, volunteerism, or mentorship.
- The ability to work cooperatively in diverse groups and respect the opinions of others.
- Strong social and communication skills.
- An energetic, positive attitude.
- A demonstrated knowledge, interest, and professional experience in the sector/track selected, and
- A commitment to apply leadership skills and training to benefit your country and/or community after the program.
Applicants will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, gender, religion, socio-economic status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
For More Information:
Visit the Official Webpage of the 2020 YALI East Africa Regional Leadership Program Cohorts 40, 41 & 42